NASA-STD-8739.4 - Crimping, Interconnecting Cables, Harnesses, and Wiring
NASA-STD-8739.4 – Crimping, Interconnecting Cables, Harnesses, and Wiring is NASA’s workmanship standard for wiring and cabling assemblies for spaceflight hardware and critical ground-support equipment.
This course provides instruction to operators and inspectors who are responsible for proper fabrication of hardware to the NASA-STD-8739.4. All of the requirements contained in the standard are discussed.
This course is a prerequisite for NASA-STD-8739.4 operator, inspector, or level B instructor certification.
Vision screening is a prerequisite per NASA-STD-8739.6.
Prior hand soldering experience is strongly recommended.
- Cable and wire preparation
- Contact installation
- Shield grounding
- Splice installation
- Ground wires
- Protection of wiring harnesses
- Harness manufacturing techniques
- Inspection methodology
- Inspector – This level of training is applicable only to those who will be performing inspections of cabling and wiring hardware fabricated to the NASA-STD-8739.4.
- Operator – This level of training is applicable to fabricators who will be performing cable manufacturing operations on wiring assemblies or other spaceflight hardware.
- Operator/Inspector Dual Cert – This training level applies to students who require the flexibility to fabricate spaceflight hardware as well as perform inspections on other operator’s workmanship. Students training to this level must meet the passing criteria for operators as well as inspectors.
- Supplier Level B Instructor – The responsibility of the Level B Instructor is to facilitate training courses to his or her internal team for the NASA workmanship standards. After initial training, the student must return to NMTTC for Level B Instructor training at a 3-day Supplier Level B Instructor course to complete the prerequisite for Supplier Level B Instructor certification.
- Initial Training: 40 Hours / 5 Days
- Retraining: 16 Hours / 2 Days
Inspectors, Operators, and Instructors are bound to the requirements of the NASA-STD-8739.6. Click Here to review the NASA-STD-8739.6 document.
NMTTC Terms & Conditions